Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Shows I Love

     Some nerds obsess over a single show, focusing all their obsessive attention on that one fandom. Not I. I have a broad range of interests to give my obsessive attention.


-Space-

     I like Star Wars, even the odd prequels. I am a big Star Trek fan; my favorite of the series is The Next Generation, but I have an appreciation for all of them, even the odd prequel. In the space category, I also like Farscape and Firefly. And Fifth Element.


-Horror-

     I am a die-hard Buffy: the Vampire Slayer fan. I’ve even written bad fan-fiction about it. I outlined a whole alternate timeline with variations in how the stories and characters developed. No, you can’t read it.

     Dollhouse was pretty epically awesome as well, at least from my viewpoint. I really enjoyed the complex storylines, even when they made little sense, and philosophical questions regarding identity.

     More recently, I really enjoyed Bates Motel. (Adult content warning on that show.) I admit that the original Psycho movie is still on my to-watch list. With that said, I feel that they are really setting up the story and developing the characters well.

     I’ve mostly kept up with the American version of Being Human. I tried the British version, but I didn’t like it nearly as much.


-Group Activity Shows-

     I like Dr. Who. I started watching the fourth doctor with my dad. He’s the one with the seventies hair and the long multi-colored scarf. The doctor is, not my dad. I watched the early first doctor episode “The Aztecs” alone, but Dr Who still feels like I should be watching and discussing it with someone.

     People might expect me to like a lot more anime, but I usually can’t watch it on my own. The notable exception is Death Note. And, though I know it’s not anime, Avatar: The Last Airbender, does have anime influence. Even there, I really enjoy watching and discussing it with my sister.


-Back to Buffy-

     Okay, back to Buffy for a minute. I hated the movie. Still do - but I’m glad it turned out badly. Because of that, Joss Whedon created the series to match his vision. I also enjoyed Angel, which I felt was technically better but less rewatchable.


-Superheroes-

     I like most of the modern superhero movies: Spiderman, Dark Knight, X-Men. Superman finally got a decent movie. I liked Avengers and the movies tied to it, though I really thought Wolverine was going to be in the Avengers. Of course, one of my favorite parts about superhero movies is picking them apart.

     I think that the 90s Batman was one of the greatest cartoon series ever made.


-Summary-

     Expect to see references to all of these, and more, in my blog. Please share your favorite series/movie - I am always open to hear about a good series I can sink my teeth into.


Bonus game for my fellow nerds: Can you spot all the Joss Whedon shows? Which ones were cancelled too soon?


-Bonus Round: Fantasy-

The Hobbit cartoon, The Lord of the Rings movies, The Hobbit movie, Xena: Warrior Princess, Charmed (Not really, though I once did), Once Upon a Time, The Flight of Dragons, Dungeons and Dragons II (It felt like a fan movie that understood the game), The Guild

2 comments:

  1. While not riveting, it's always fun to hear about people's interests. Keep rocking, K.P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cole. I was afraid it was a little dry, but I wanted to get these shows listed. It's kind of an effort to uncork the creative genie's bottle.

      If/when I do a version of this entry for games, I'll try to make it more interesting to read.

      Delete